Monday, February 23, 2009

The Modern, Urban Cottager

My Modern Cottager blog is laying fallow right now but in the interim I present you with its cousin -- Urban Cottager.

So our dream of a family farm is probably a little ways off but I am keeping busy in the meantime. Call it skills aquisition if you will. I'm intending this blog to mostly chronicle my little projects and learnings and fun that I feel are helping to prepare me for my future as a cottager.

Two years ago I started the blog Modern Cottager and mostly discussed beer making and cheese making. Last year we lived in Montana and I had my first experience raising animals -- for a few months we kept two meat goats.

This year I intend to start learning the ins and outs of herb and vegetable gardening. I am going to do some herbs and some hops on our small balcony and I am trying to get a 20'x20' plot at a community garden down the street.

I'm sure there will also be more homebrewing and cheesemaking this year as well. Probably no goat-keeping though -- we are in a townhouse.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you are taking up gardening. My Grandpa Drake was a big gardener. He did flowers and onions always. Even when his vision was mostly gone. The pergola has provided some protection for the herbs in the strawberry pot out there and they have gone wild. I enjoy throwing them in when i cook. Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete