Monday, February 23, 2009

Plans

These are subject to change I suppose but here is what I have on tap for the coming months:

  • Hops. I am going to order rhizomes in a few weeks. I bought a really large planter at Costco and I think it will more than adequately accommodate the roots. I am going to run twine up to the second floor to let them vine. I am thinking I will use Willamette, though when I last grew them I had the most success with Cascade. I am assuming Cascade will be hard to come by though.
  • Herbs. Going in window boxes on our balcony will be herbs. Sweet basil, cilantro, chives, marjoram...not sure what else.
  • Garden plot. I am hoping to get a 20x20 (or possibly 10x20) plot at one of several nearby community gardens run by the county. A community garden near Adam has a community chicken coop. I'm jealous of that. If I can get it I'll grow tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, beans, and some kind of salad green.
  • Hunting. I am hoping to go hunting this year. Not sure when, where, with whom, or for what quarry. I don't know anyone here who hunts. I am thinking rabbits would good. A deer would be good too. I'd like to make sausages and venison stew.
  • Meat. I am hoping to branch out a little this year. I guess we've already started by buying goat meat from time to time. I'd also like to experiment a little with offal, especially liver.
  • Fishing. This is a tricky one. Our waterways seem fairly untrustable. And I'm not the throw-it-back type. Last fall my father-in-law offered to take me out for a deer and now I feel kind of like an idiot for not taking him up on it.
  • Husbandry. I'm not sure how this can happen. I'm not interested in getting a gerbil. :) I think some farmers might take a fee in exchange for pasturing an animal for you. If so, I'd like to find a bottle baby lamb and pasture is somewhere nearby where it would be with other sheep and we could visit it. Then we can take it to slaughter at the end of the year, maybe for Christmas lamb.

No comments:

Post a Comment